|Posted on January 1, 2017 at 9:00 PM|
Eczema seems to be a huge topic lately. More and more people seem to be coming out with this irritating skin condition that can occur in people of all ages. Children especially seem to be being diagnosed with the condition, and we are seeing it more and more in clinic. So why is this happening?
Eczema can happen for a number of reasons. The medical industry doesn’t fully understand the condition and see people present more when they have allergies as well as suggest it is inherited. They say that the skin of people with this condition is different from everyone else’s and doesn’t work as well and so then they prescribe the corticosteroids to treat the symptoms but often doesn’t cure it or can at
times even make the condition flare up with a vengence.
Naturopathically we see things a little different. Yes eczema definitely can be inherited, caused by allergies but saying the skins different we don’t agree with. So why do you ask? When we look at any kind of skin condition we don’t just see the symptoms that are coming out on the skin. We look deeper and looking for what is going on in the inside both physically and emotionally as well as environmentally and in their lifestyle.
We tend to find that the reason people are displaying eczema in their life is because the body is saying something is not right internally. Generally, a big part of this is to do with your gut microbiome.
Your gut microbiome also known as your good gut bacteria plays a huge role in not just eczema but a lot of skin conditions. Without having the adequate conditions in your intestines things get through to the rest of your body and that’s when chaos starts to break loose and your body tries to push the toxins out through your skin. The imbalance can occur from a range of things from being born by C-Section, diet, antibiotic use and more.
Other factors we look at are diet. What are you eating that could cause this? Are you eating pro-inflammatory foods? Could you be allergic to these foods without knowing it? Environmental factors such as what sort of cleaning products or hygiene products do you use? What’s on the other side of the bedroom wall where your bed head is? Is your house in a high polluted area or near a mobile phone tower? Emotional factors such as stress, anxiety, depression, grief and so on can all bring out the condition as well.
Therefore, we do spend so long with you in a consultation and ask so many questions because if the cause of the issue is not found you will keep getting the symptoms. And yes, we do help the symptoms topically to start with
but you will find a lot of our treatment will be through various herbs, supplements, diet and lifestyle changes so this way we are treating the cause of why you are experiencing these problems.
Eczema can be treated exceptionally well through natural therapies. If you or anyone you know suffers from this condition or any other skin condition for that matter, make sure you refer them to a Naturopath.
10 Strategies to help relieve eczema:
1. Eat anti-inflammatory foods and reduce pro-inflammatory foods. These are your fresh fruit and vegetables, Omega 3’s such as deep sea fish, Turmeric add it to as much food as possible. This will help bring all the inflammation on the skin as well as internally down.
Drink plenty of water. Drinking the correct amount of water each day will ensure your body is flushing out those nasty toxins as well as keeping you hydrated which is especially important for people with eczema.
3. Eat Pre and Pro biotic foods. Prebiotic foods are your fibre foods such as lentils, whole grains/seeds/nuts, oats, as well as onions, garlic and so much more. Your Probiotic foods which will help build up your gut flora again are things like yoghurt, kimchi, Saur Kraut, Kefir, sour dough etc.
4. Wear loose clothing that isn’t a scratchy, itchy material. This goes for bedding as well.
5. Make baths luke warm, limit for 5-10mins only and add the likes of oats to the bath to help soothe the inflamed skin.
6. Chamomile Compresses are great for the inflammation. It not only cools the skin but the medicinal properties of chamomile also helps sooth it as well as being anti-inflammatory and nourishing for the skin.
7. Don’t use soap. Soap dries out and irritates the skin. If anything use a natural alternative. If your not sure on what to use contact us we can give you access
to a range of items from cleaning products to hygiene products
8. Stay away from allergens. Whether this is food, pollen, animal fur etc.
9. Stress management. Whether its an adult or child stress management is huge. Stress can increase inflammation and also exacerbate the condition. Yoga, meditation, mindfulness, music, it doesn’t matter what it is as long as it reduces stress and makes you relaxed and all of these things can also be taught to a child.
10. Most of all see a professional. Whether it is a GP, Naturopath, Homeopath it doesn’t matter we are hear to help and can get you on the right path.
Insight Natural Wellness
|Posted on January 1, 2017 at 8:50 PM|
Lately we’ve been hearing a lot of people saying they are having trouble sleeping. Sleep is an integral part of life and depending what stage of life you’re in depends how much sleep you need.
Sleep helps us not only reserves and conserve the energy we’ve used during the day so that we can go about our day tomorrow. But it’s
also integral for our bodily functions and the repair of damaged tissue within the body.
Within TCM as well as naturopathic medicine there is also a common belief that during certain times of the night is when different organs are restoring. Each of these organs also represents an emotion so if you are waking during these times and there is no underlying cause for it, it could be related to these issues.
For example: Waking up between 3am and 5am is your lungs. This time and organ is also associated with your immune system as well as grief. You may find that waking during these times if you are struggling with grief or sorrow about something. Imbalances may also show up as wheezing, coughing, asthma or getting sick easily.
There can also be environmental factors on why you may be having trouble sleeping
Watching tv, on your phone or other device right before bed, The room isn’t dark enough, Wi-Fi is on, electrical devices directly behind the other side of the wall where your bed head is and much more.
10 Strategies to help me sleep better:
1. One coffee/drinks with caffeine a day max
2. Stick to a sleep schedule. This includes weekends. This helps regulate your body clock and help you fall asleep faster.
3. Exercise daily including breathing and yoga practice
4. No technology at least 30 mins before bed. And preferably no technology in the bedroom. If you can have all devices including your phone in a different room. If you must have it in your room, put it on the other side of the room from where you are sleeping
5. Phone off at 7.30-8pm
6. Evaluate your bedroom. Your bedroom should be cool at night, dark and if you have any electronic devices on the wall where your bed head is you need to move it or move your bed.
7. Turn the Wi-Fi off at night
8. Lay on the ground with your legs up against the wall every night for 10 mins. This yoga pose helps relax you and get ready for sleep.
9. Meditate/deep breathing. This can be done whilst your legs are up against the wall. There are some great guided mediation tracks on you tube.
10. Avoid eating sugary sweets before bed.
If you are still having trouble sleeping. Come in and see us for a consultation so that we may get to the cause and get you sleeping like a baby in no time.
Insight Natural Wellness
|Posted on October 8, 2016 at 6:05 PM|
You often hear about detoxing your body but what about your home and work space?
Environmental Biology is an important area of health. Many people are unaware of the toxins they are choosing to have in their homes and offices.
Today I am just going to talk about the chemicals we expose ourselves on a day to day basis. Go and make a list of just the toxic chemicals you are exposed to daily you might be surprised.
Lets look at laundry powder/liquid for example. While it may make your clothes smell fresh many conventional laundry powder including 'skin sensitive laundry powder' contain harmful chemicals that you put on your skin, inhale and overall have a negative impact on your health ranging from skin issues, headaches, throat irritation and even cancer. Your skin is the biggest organ in your body and it soaks up everything you put on it which can either negatively or positively effect you. The manufactures dont even have to list every ingredient that they use. And this is only laundrey products. What about what you clean your kitchen with, your dishes that your food goes on? Or even what you use in the shower to wash your body with and clean your hair and your teeth? Make up? All these chemicals from all these products add up and cause a toxic load in your body. And this is just in your home that is used on a daily basis.
Then you have everything you need to deal with outside your home. Car fumes, What your work place uses to clean, pesticides and so much more. Can you now imagine what your body is now dealing with? The toxic load on your body is getting huge.
Dont panic there are things you can do!! You may not be able to do a lot outside your home (although if you are going on an international flight take a mask for landing as they do spray the planes and it is becoming more popular to do it whilst people are on the plane)
1. Get rid of all the nasty chemical cleaners, body washes, shampoos, deoderants etc you have and GO NATURAL! Using all natural products is safest. If you find the prices in your supermarket too expensive contact us at Insight Natural Wellness as we can give you access to over 400 household products that are all natural (to the point no safety caps are needed) at wholesale price (30-40% off.) Just click on the Detox your Home page on our website.
2. Get some Air Purifier Plants into your home. These plants help clean the air of many nasty things like carbon monoxide, mould spores and much more.
Insight Natural Wellness